November 11, 2012

UK Inspiration Isle of Wight Reveal

I am excited to be participating in the UK Inspiration Challenge! The participants are to create a piece of jewelry (or should I say jewellery) inspired by the hometown of one of the Artisan Whimsy UK members. Teresa Hulley makes beautiful beads!  She is from the Isle of Wight. Here is the description that made me want to learn more: 

"The Isle of Wight is a tiny island about 7 x 20 miles long 4 miles off the south coast of England. Although it is tiny it has so much history! It was one of Queen Victoria's favorite retreats, and popular with the Romans too".


The island has a rich maritime and industrial history encompasses boat building, sail making, and the manufacture of flying boats.   

Here is a picture of their flag:


With these two elements in mind, I created maritime inspired jewelry in a blue and white theme (with red added in because it reminds me of wooden sailing ships):

I selected the shiny Czech glass beads because they remind me of water, the movement of the water, and the shine on the water both during the day (light blue) and at twilight (dark blue). The spiral Tierracast pewter beads remind me of the old maritime compasses used on wooden sailing ships.

My Store: http://www.zibbet.com/pineridgetreasures

I enjoyed participating!  Please have a look at everyone's creations:

The HostsLesley Watt Gossiping Goddess
Rebecca Anderson Songbeads
Pippa Chandler Pip's Jewellery
Teresa Hulley Bo Hulley Beads
Natalie McKenna Grubbi
Jo Tinley Daisychain Designs
Dorset
Ginger Bishop Lilmummylikes
Cece Cormier The Beading Yogini
Therese Frank Therese’s Treasures
Cilla Watkins Tell Your Girlfriends
Sherry Baun
Edinburgh
Therese Frank Therese’s Treasures
Kashmira Patel Sadafulee
Caroline Dewison Blueberribeads
Sherry Baun
Leigh Thow Jewellrleigh
Lucy Haslam
Bath
Sherry Baun
Isle of Wight
Duane Clark Bizzy Bead
Sharyl McMillian-Nelson Sharyl's Jewelry
Leigh Thow Jewellrleigh
Jean Wright Just Beadey
D Lynne Bowland Islandgirl’s Insights
Sherry Baun
Liverpool
Shalini Austin   Jewellery by Shalini
Doris Stumpf Glaszwerg
Sherry Baun
Lennis C Windbent
Southampton
Sherri Stokey Knot Just Macramé
Sherry Baun
Leigh Thow Jewellrleigh
Kathy Lindemer Bay Moon Design



 

9 comments:

  1. such pretty colors of blue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the ISle of Wight too, my original thought was to work around the mosaics, nautical briefly crossed my mind until I read some of the demographics on Wikipedia! And the Isle of Wight is 4 times bigger than the Island I live on!
    YOur pieces match the flag beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! Love those blues and crystal colors - they really do reflect the beautiful colors surrounding the Isle of Wight in a beautiful way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your flag! Right now Zack is really interested in going through all the nation's flags.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa,
    Beautiful pieces I love the blue tones you used in them, just gorgeous!
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful maritime set of jewellery! Thank you for taking part in our challenge Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty pieces Lisa and a perfect nautical interpretation of the IOW. Thanks for taking part in our challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your idea to use various shades of blue crystals to reflect the concept of the water surrounding the island, Lisa! I enjoyed your explanation of your jewelry pieces too! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete