October 2, 2012

I Have a New Blog - Now What?

First I want to thank everybody from my Pine Ridge Treasures Blog, the Creative Bead Chat Group, and the Bead Soup Group on Facebook for joining my new blog. I really appreciate the fact that you want to be a part of this "blogging journey".

So, why the new blog?  A couple of reasons:

1). I had a big scare last week when I logged into Blogger and my entire Pine Ridge Treasures blog had vanished from the face of the earth. No reason - just gone!  For over 24 hours I had to live with the fact that I had not backed up my blog, and that everything I had done may be gone forever. Over 150 posts and 150 followers! Me - the person who tells other people all the time to back things up, had not backed up my own blog.  I guess it is one of those "Doctors make the worst patients" kind of scenarios. While I was pondering the annileation of my blog, it occurred to me that I had not been happy with the blog for a long time. It just did not "feel" right.  I am a very intuitive person, and things have to "feel" right to me or I get uncomfortable. I started the blog as a quasi marketing tool - to promote my fledgling jewelry business, and to participate in blog hops.  Mission accomplished, but I want more. (See reason #2 below). Anyway, the universe smiled upon me - a day later the blog reappeared with no explanation given to my inquiry. I decided to plunge ahead regardless.

Getting my "ducks in a row".


2). I would like this new blog to be a place where I can share my "jewelry journey". I am relatively new to jewelry making, and am learning new things all the time. I am trying to find my "style" or niche. I'd like to share other interests as well, like crocheting. I want to provide interesting topics for you, my blog followers.  I will be trying out some new things to see what "sticks". Mostly I want this to be lighthearted and fun.  Life has enough struggles without adding more weight to it.

Here's my question for you:

Think of your favorite blog (or blogs). What do you like best about them? What keeps you reading them regularly?  I look forward to your comments, and to sharing this journey with you.

12 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    My favorite blogs humm well I read some because, they mostly have something interesting to say, or we have common interests. They there are some that always have beautiful photos of interesting subjects and places.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Therese. I love all of the beautiful pictures also. I do worry about copyright violations when using pictures from the web. I have to do some more research on what pictures are usable, etc.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, I like an assortment of things I guess. New works, what's happening in a person's life, new techniques, tutorials, and even the occasional "this is what not to do". Oh and of course pictures. It's nice to see other things that you create besides jewelry too. p.s. Hoping to get some of the pieces assembled from the beads I won on the giveaway soon. Will blog it when I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Can't wait to see what you make with the beads!

      Delete
  3. All of my favorite blogs, covering a variety of topics, not just jewelry or beads, all have a couple things in common -

    1)they all have a sense of wit or humor that appears through the post - not saying they're all funny, but as you read, you find yourself smiling over little comments or points made.

    - 2)They all have points of 'life' in them. They all have that 'I'm a real person' feel to them, the author slipping in comments about little, or big, happenings in their day or life, or even sharing a little gripe about something.

    I find I visit blogs less if they don't have those personal touches to them. They just don't hold my interest enough to keep going back to read. Many get added because of a post I loved, or fabulous tutorials or challenges... then after the posts prove to be 'lacking in personality' eventually I just remove them from my reading list and replace them with something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great points, Skye! I really like humor also. One reason I started this new blog is so I could interject more of "myself" into it. The last blog was pretty sterile.

      Delete
  4. I guess I really enjoy when they have inspirations, new pieces and even tutorials about how to do something.

    Also, a quick question. After reading about your lost blog last week, I'm not sure I've ever backed up my blog. How do I go about doing that? I wouldn't want to lose my last 4 years of blogging. :( Not good. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katz - To save your Blogger blog - go to settings and click on "other". Then click export blog. Select "save file", and save it to your hard drive

      Delete
  5. I love blogs that share the author's learning process in a natural and not "teachy" style. It's especially great when they share their mistakes. Yes, humour is a great addition. I'm such a beginner at so many crafts that I love feeling like I'm learning along with the author, not being taught LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like reading about people's mistakes also. It makes it seem more personable. (and gives me hope that I may be able to try new things)!

      Delete
  6. I am not going to say anything really different from other responses, which I guess is good... we're all on the same page kind of thing! :D I love reading blogs with a sense of wit and those that have a personal feel... so you know this is a real person's blog.
    Hugs,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Read about your new blog on Artisan Whimsy and had to sign up. The only thing I would ad as a suggestion for what to write about: tell us what inspires you...

    ReplyDelete